Technical Explanation of Corrugated Board - What does it all mean?
We've all seen Corrugated Cartons or Board, but what are the technicalities we should understand when determining exactly what we need? Is your box going to carry something very heavy? Does it need to be used mulitple times? How much protection does your product require?
Let's start by making it clear that there is a difference between Cardboard Boxes and Corrugated Boxes. Basic Cardboard Boxes are used for lightweight items. For example, simple/light food products, or business cards. Corruated Boxes/Cartons are better used for shipping heavier or more fragile products as they are re-inforced (see above image - which is Double Walled).
Understanding Corrugated Board:
A standard sheet of corrugated is made up of 3 components. The outside liner, the inside liner and the fluting in between which has been glued to the liners. In a single walled corrugated, which is this image, both the outside and inside liners are most commonly made of Kraft Paper which is the strongest form of paper as well as the best to print on.
What Makes One Stronger than another?
As you can see from this image above there is the Single wall (as explained previously), the Double wall - which has an additional layer of fluting and wall glued on. This is best suited to heavier goods than the single wall. Finally you have the Triple Wall which has an additional layer of fluting and wall again which is best suited for extremely large and heavy items such as large machine parts. Note that Test paper is commonly used for the fluting and the inside liner. Test paper is a so-called double layer paperboard (duplex paper) and is ideal for printing and easthetics. The basic layer is excellent for adhesion and strength.
What does GSM stand for?
GSM stands for grams per square meter and is measurement of thickness and therefore strength of paper. Basically it is measured by taking one square meter of paper and weighing it. the result is xx grams per quare meter. Example, photocopier paper is 80gsm.
Products from Get Packed that can help:
- Corrugated Cartons - our standard range are single walled, but if you want something custom made we can assist with that too.
- Corrugated Cardboard Rolls - these are made of a single liner and a single flute (single face) - this allows for the flexibility required of this product so that items can be rolled up into it for additional protection.
- Maltese Cross Cartons - These are another single walled carton and is a wrap around protective style shipping carton.
- Korrvu Lok compression packaging - Uses a patented low-slip film that positions and secures your products to a corrugated backing,
In need of more product protection?
If you're in need of extra protection for your products inside your boxes then there is so much to choose from. Click on any of the links below for more information:
- Bubble Wrap
- Instapak Foam in Bag Protection
- Foam Rolls
- Biodgradeable Void Fill
- Inflatable Fill Air Bags